POSTS


POST BY TOPIC
pet-friendly housing
off-leash trails
nutrition
upcoming events
latest finds


LATEST TWEETS


ARCHIVES
September 2008
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
October 2009

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Encouraging Play

Q: Our dog doesn't seem to know how to play with toys. It's our first dog, and we are not sure how to play with him. He doesn't chase or fetch balls or sticks. When we take him to the park, he just walks beside us and sits down if we stop to play. Can you suggest any games or toys that might encourage him to play? We'd love to have him play fetch.


A: Shannon Malmberg from Zen Dog responds: Teaching a dog to play involves a bit of creativity and a good deal of interaction on your part. For dogs lacking an instinctive natural fetch (or "ball drive" as many sport dog trainers term it) you want to build desire in your dog for a toy. I see play as an interactive sport that goes beyond standing in a park and throwing a ball. The toys I use for my dog's training and play are chosen so that I can be involved in the play process. Balls with ropes or tug toys with handles are great for tug games and for exciting the dog in going for the object.



A few key concepts are necessary:



* Start in an area of low distraction so you aren't competing with other dogs, smells, etc.



* Choose a toy that is appropriate in size and construction for your dog - some dogs like squeaky toys, others like squishy objects that feel good to bite down on. Some dogs like the firmness of something to bite down on.



* The toy is never left out after the play game has ended - otherwise you risk him becoming bored with it. At the end of a training/play session, all of my dog's toys go back into the training bag.



* Play is initiated by you when the dog is rested and feeling energetic.



* Play ends long before the dog grows tired of the toy and the game. Initially this may only be a minute or two - sometimes less! You are building a "drive" in the dog to play so you want to end on a high note when the dog is starting to really enjoy the game. Some dogs take months to really get into the art of playing - take your time!



When I start play games with a puppy I will often clip a leash to the handle of a tug toy and drag it back and forth on the ground, initiating a prey chase in the dog. I tease the dog by almost letting him catch the toy, only to snatch it out of his reach a few times and then rewarding him with a win (him catching the toy) when he gives a good effort. I want to teach him to try harder with each play session, thus increasing his desire for the object.



Dogs have what we call opposition reflex - they fight against that which holds them back. With young dogs I will firmly hold onto their collar and toss the toy away from them. Then I "load" them up with a few excited words: "Are you ready? Are you ready?" and then (when I feel the dog straining on his collar) release him in a chase to see who gets to the toy first. If I win, I grab the toy and race off. A few repetitions of this and most dogs soon are trying to beat me to reach the toy. If he reaches the toy first, I run backward a few steps and call the dog into me. If he brings the toy, we have a little tug game and I let him win. If he drops it, I race back to get it and run off again.



The key is to be excited and animated. If you are boring with your play, expect the same from your dog. The more excited you get, the more likely your dog is to find the game fun too. Dogs build on the energy we project. My dog will play with everything from a ball to an empty Starbucks cup. I've taught him to play with anything I present to him - or run across on one of our walks through the park.



There are many good books out there on playing with our dog. A book I highly recommend to get you started is HOW TO GET YOUR DOG TO PLAY by John Rogerson. John Rogerson is known especially for his puppy work and this book is filled with exercises that are easy to follow.



Remember - be fun, be goofy, be animated. Your dog is likely to follow suit - it may take some patience first.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


home | about us | twitter | shipping + returns | store hours | contact

© 2010 bow wow haus All Rights Reserved. Web hosting and e-commerce courtesy of Cara Creates